Film | Glorious 39

Sunday 21 April 2013

This little war makes everything uncertain...







I happen to have watched Glorious 39 over the weekend and I am marvelled by how phenomenal it was. I tend to reserve my initial reviews of movies and the like once I have had time to 'collect my bearings', however some scenes of this period suspense thriller become more and more poignant upon reflection.
Glorious 39 (2009) was written and directed by Stephen Poliakoff who should be affirmed for his masterpiece of cinematography. Set in 1939, this is a mystery film surrounding the Keyes family entangled in a WWII wartime conspiracy; that proves lethal.
Casting a superb cohort of actors/actresses, eclipsing the feature film is undoubtedly Romola Garai who captivates us with her screen appearances as the heroine, Anne Keyes. Bill Nighy as the dapper Alexander Keyes cannot be ignored, whom creates an ominous and unsettling tone to the film.
Contrary to popular opinion (see Rotten Tomatoes) I found it draw comparisons to Atonement and other period cinema greats. I have included some film stills in attempt to synopsise the films spectacular viewings.
P.S how extraordinary is the costuming, especially that green velvet evening gown worn by Celia (Juno Temple) and that red gown!

Ta for reading,

No comments

Post a Comment